Monday, February 18, 2013

Pick Your Startup Managers Like Wine or Whiskey


Without a doubt corporate America is being shaped by many smaller companies that take advantage of trending technology, globalization or shifts in the local or global economy. I like to refer to this in general as market disrupters but, that’s another story. By and large newer and smaller companies are headed by young talent who come to battle in the business community with great innovation and talent but often lack a few critical ingredients. 

In managing a company there is a lot to say for a balanced approach. Personally, I am a big promoter of this in my own business and in my personal life. You need to have a good mix of innovation, bravado, intellect, wisdom and even temperedness to create a good work environment and to carry out the strategic model in such a way that it carves out a positive corporate culture. Unfortunately, when it comes to management, wisdom and even temperedness do not typically come from young managers. It comes from seasoned professionals who have been around a while and know how to adjust their egos and make business decisions that are well measured.

Yes a good dose of ego is good so I will have to say this: “I have always known I have gotten better with age” –LMAO   All kidding aside, this article in Mashable, The Best Entrepreneurs are Older, Have Less Ego is a good read. Essentially, up to the age of 40 you develop good entrepreneurial skills and guess what?, they don’t go away after that. This makes people in their midlife potentially great entrepreneurs. 

So, as I have titled this piece great entrepreneurs are best when aged like a fine wine or whiskey. As for me, I drink both…..but only in moderation.

Stay thirsty my friends. - LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment